Soccer Talk: Theo Walcott hoping for a 'mega signing' such as Karim Benzema at Arsenal this summer

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Theo Walcott hoping for a 'mega signing' such as Karim Benzema at Arsenal this summer

After another disappointing season, Theo Walcott is hopingArsenal make a "mega signing" in a bid to end their six-year trophyless run - and named Real Madrid star Karim Benzema as an ideal target.

The Gunners haven't got their hands on any silverware since lifting the FA Cup in 2005 and despite pushing Manchester United in the Premier League and getting to the League Cup final, they again ended the campaign with nothing.

Speaking at the launch of the Mars Just PlayWalcott, who joined Arsenal in 2006, believes his side are not far from success but need one or two more top additions in the summer.

"It's totally up to Arsene Wenger, he's the manager and he knows what to do; he believes in the squad," said Walcott.

"He saw things that us players wouldn't have seen after the Carling Cup final - he'll know what to do.

"Maybe we do need some new signings, a mega signing that's going to get the fans on board.

"I've heard rumours of Karim Benzema at Real Madrid. Someone like that would help you hold on to your best players, get the crowd on their feet as well.

"We have to win something next season, if we don't then I think a lot of players will go I'm sure of that.

"A big club like Arsenal, being in the top four, the Champions League and then finishing fourth is disappointing - we need to be winning things, the manager knows that.

"I think it's going to be tough in the Premier League next season; Manchester City look very dangerous, Liverpool are looking bright too.

"Obviously City winning the FA Cup, they are going to want more and more and they will feel confident after finishing third ahead of us so there is going to be a lot of teams challenging - it's not going to be easy."

Walcott also spoke about the position he is regularly picked in for the Gunners and conceded he still feels most comfortable in attack, rather than on the right wing, where he tends to be deployed.

"I would prefer to be playing up front - I was signed as a striker," he said.

"Sometimes when you're playing out wide, it's difficult to get in the game. I think manager wanted to develop me on the right and I think I've shown what I can do this season - hopefully he trusts me and I can play up front next season.

"I'll have a chat with him when I come back and see what he's thinking. I believe I can give something different to the team we haven't had for a while so why not?"

Walcott believes his manager will lose no time over the summer working out how to right the wrongs of another frustrating season, where the Gunners also lost out again to Barcelona in the Champions League - this time in the second round.

"Our team has some great individual players but maybe as a unit we're just not doing it," he added.

"It's totally up to the manager who is going to come and who is going to go.

"Everyone always say about the defence [being the problem] but it's not just the defence at times it's the whole team; the way we defend."

No comments:

Post a Comment